Kakadu Ancient Secrets
Explore Kakadu, an ancient landscape of billabongs, gorges and hidden canyons teeming with spectacular wildlife. Admire beautiful rock art and hear stories of the Dreamtime.
Embark on an Inspiring Journey to the haunt of the Lightning Man, Aboriginal clans and the mighty crocodiles that roams Kakadu’s floodplains.
By the end of this 5-day journey to Darwin, Mary River, Kakadu and Katherine, you’ll feel spiritually revived and well rested for your travels back home..
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 1 Darwin to Mary River Beginning in the tropical northern city of Darwin, meet your local Journey Director and board your bespoke 4WD vehicle. Your brush with Australia’s natural treasures begins in Litchfield National Park. Hear how the local Aboriginal people’s ancestral spirits have shaped the landscape, before embarking on a cross-country journey along the rugged Marrakai Track (seasonally accessible) to the Mary River Wetlands. Tonight, get to know your fellow guests at a Welcome Reception with drinks and canapés followed by dinner.
Day 2 Mary River to Jabiru Wake up with the wildlife of Mary River and head to Corroboree Billabong, where you’ll board an exclusive wildlife cruise in the company of a local guide to explore its floodplains and spot the creatures that find sanctuary in its lotus-covered waters. Journey into the tropical depths of the iconic Kakadu National Park next, stopping at Bowali Visitor Centre. Prime your adventurer legs this afternoon for a sunset walk at the rock art galleries of Ubirr. Perched atop Nadab Lookout, watch the sun dip into the lush Kakadu floodplains.
Day 3 Jabiru via Kakadu National Park to Katherine Enjoy a leisurely start to your day or take to the skies on an optional experience early morning scenic flight over Kakadu before venturing to Nourlangie to admire the ancient Dreamtime art of the Bininj and Mungguy people that is said to span 20,000 years. Later, veer off the sealed road and onto a gravel track for a scenic cross-country journey to Gunlom Falls – an exclusive hike to the top of the falls and be rewarded with a refreshing dip in the crystal-clear plunge pool. Enjoy lunch in the shade of rustling gum trees before you continue to Nitmiluk National Park, where you’ll stay tonight in a five-star eco-lodge.
Day 4 Katherine Gorge The hypnotic rhythms of the didgeridoo take center stage this morning as you meet Manuel Pamkal and share in his passion for the rich traditional culture into which he was born. Learn about life in the bush and experience first-hand the fine art of rarrk painting using a special reed brush, after which you’ll create your very own masterpiece to take home. Later, board a special dinner cruise and learn about the history and culture of the local Jawoyn people.
Day 5 Katherine - Farewell from Darwin A leisurely start to the day could see you relaxing at the lodge or embarking on a walk. Later, leave the wilderness behind and journey north along the Stuart Highway, stopping to cool off in the cascading waters of Edith Falls. Next, continue to Adelaide River War Cemetery and pay homage to the heroes who gave their lives in the service and defence of Australia. Bid farewell to this Inspiring Journey as you return to the tropical Northern Territory capital of Darwin.
- 1 night of accommodation at Wildman Wilderness Lodge, Mary River – Standard Tent
- 1 night of accommodation at Mecure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel, Jabiru, Kakadu – Standard Room
- 2 nights of accommodation at Cicada Lodge, Mary River – Standard Room
- Meals (4 buffet breakfasts, 5 lunches, 3 dinners with wine & 1 local dining experience)
- Complimentary refreshments throughout the journey
- Travel by bespoke 4WD vehicle with reclining seats, Wi-Fi and air-conditioning
- A maximum of 20 guests to share your journey
- Expert Journey Director and Driver Guide escorts
- All entrance and National Park fees
- Sustainable Travel Kit, including refillable water bottle and backpack
- Exclusive immersive activities and interaction with local communities
- Built-in leisure time, to explore destinations as you wish
- International or domestic airfares (unless specified above).
- Meals other than specified above.
- Travel insurance.