Australia Best Kept Secrets of Sydney, Melbourne & Tasmania
Highlights: Sydney | Melbourne | Yarra Valley Wine Region | Freycinet National Park | Saffire Freycinet | Tasmania
Discover the secrets of Sydney, Melbourne and Tasmania on this enchanting and indulgent 12-day tour.
Beginning with your choice of tours in Sydney, you can cruise the harbor, take a flight to lunch or spend a day surfing in Bondi.
Once in Melbourne you will delight in the city’s renowned culinary hotspots, then it’s on to indulging even more at the vineyards of the Tamar Valley.
Arriving to Freycinet National Park you can meet Tasmanian Devils or visit an oyster farm, then enjoy your stay at Saffire Freycinet before ending the trip in Hobart..
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 1 Arrive Sydney Welcome to Sydney! Upon arrival, take a private transfer to your fabulous accommodation at the Shangri-La, a luxurious hotel within walking distance to major attractions like the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Circular Quay and the Royal Botanical Gardens. Perhaps enjoy dinner and cocktails at the hotel’s Blu Bar 36, where you can enjoy world-class views of the Sydney Harbour.
Day 2 - 3 Sydney – Over the next 2 days you have the choice of 2 of 6 Excursions 1. Shared Luxury Harbor Cruise with progressive lunch at Sydney’s top waterfront restaurants Late this morning board the Ocean Blue, a 46-foot Riviera luxury motor vessel for a cruise on Sydney Harbour. Enjoy complimentary Australian wines as you cruise along the iconic foreshore, taking in sights of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Opera House, and the bays and coves of the water itself. Start with a light menu at the famous Doyles on the Beach Restaurant in Watsons Bay, then cruise onto Middle Head and into Middle Harbour. Discover the beauty of the harbor and stop at Balmoral for lunch – this world-famous restaurant is in a relaxed luxury space, featuring fresh local ingredients of the seasons while incorporating global culinary influences. Departing Balmoral and cruising past the Spit Bridge, you’ll have your chance to indulge in dessert, cheese and wines before returning to the main harbor where you can stop for a swim if you choose. 2. Shared Seaplane to Cottage Point for lunch Enjoy a must-do Sydney experience as you fly by seaplane to Cottage Point. Traveling from Rose Bay in Sydney Harbour, you’ll enjoy a series of gorgeous views before arriving in style to the charming Cottage Point Inn. Stepping from the seaplane onto the restaurant’s private dock, you’ll receive a warm welcome from the friendly staff before settling in for lunch. Enjoy superb, modern Australian cuisine on the deck while the water laps gently by, or sit among the cozy, converted boatshed interiors. Your flight back to Rose Bay is equally spectacular and includes a double orbit in front of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge to top off a truly special day. 3. Morning Private Sydney Tour, with afternoon Private Sydney Opera House Tour On this private comprehensive tour, we will take you to Sydney’s iconic sights and gorgeous beaches. Highlights include: Darling Harbour, the Rocks with its historic buildings, Mrs. Mac’s chair for photos of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, Wooloomooloo Bay, Watsons Bay, The Gap and Bondi Beach. Return to the city via Tamarama and Bronte beaches, Centennial Park, Paddington, Darlinghurst and China Town, Darling Harbour and Barangaroo, the newest urban and entertainment area. Wrapping up the first part of the tour, you’ll drive past the restored finger wharves of Walsh Bay and under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, then transferred back to your Sydney accommodation. Later this afternoon, take the short walk to the Sydney Opera House to meet your guide for an emotional journey inside the modern masterpiece. Discover why Jorn Utzon was an architect of change, and how against a landslide of political and public criticism he created the youngest building ever to be World Heritage listed. You will have a chance to go inside one of the working venues and experience the magic behind the world’s most extraordinary opera, ballet and symphony performances. 4. Let’s Go Surfing Bondi Beach Full Day Best Of Bondi Private Tour This exclusive tour gives you the opportunity to design your ideal beach day out, enjoying the funky beach vibe bars and urban-style shops that add to Bondi Beach’s appeal. Enjoy a tour of the area and learn a little about the history, then hit the waves for private surf lessons with your very own private guide. This person will double as your local insight for the day, so will be able to work with you from the start of the day to ensure every need is met. 5. Morning Taste of Sydney Walking Tour Meet your guide at your hotel for a fascinating walking & tasting tour of Sydney. Stopping at one of the country’s oldest pubs in the historic Rocks area, you’ll drink locally-produced craft beers accompanied by some of the best ‘pub grub’ in Sydney. Wander past the Sydney Opera House and through the Botanic Gardens – an oasis of unique Australian flora right in the heart of the city – then venture to Manta Restaurant on the iconic Woolloomooloo Wharf to indulge in champagne, oysters and a Sydney favorite, salt-and-pepper squid. After dining you’ll take a walk up to the ultra-trendy Potts Point for your final stop at Bistro Rex. Here you will enjoy a delicate menu with a French twist and have the chance to meet the Head Chefs and Co-owners to discover their inspiration behind the menu. Your host will walk you back to your hotel after the meal. 6. Half Day Private Walking Arts St & Shops of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst Surry Hills and Darlinghurst are an essential destination for those who want to know the real Sydney. This tour will usher you into one of Australia’s oldest convict jails, seeking out vintage finds and hidden art galleries that culture hunters will adore. Explore the Sydney precinct with the densest population of cafes, restaurants and creative minds, then enjoy a transfer back to your Sydney accommodation.
Day 4 Sydney to Melbourne Today it’s on to cosmopolitan Melbourne. We have included a transfer to the airport for your short flight (not included) to Australia’s second largest city, renowned for its nightlife, restaurant and bar scene. Check into QT Melbourne – a boutique hotel encapsulating the quirky spirit of its location – and come evening embark on an Epicurean walking tour.
What better way to discover the city’s hidden gems than with an in-the-know local as your guide? Explore Melbourne’s intricate alleys and laneways, following your local guide as you try cocktails, signature dishes and creative plates on the way. Stop in at local hotspots and allow talented chefs and mixologists to share their craft with you, plus sample some of the best international cuisine made with the finest ingredients and local produce. By the end of the night, you’ll have had cocktails at an iconic laneway bar, three courses served at alternating restaurants, two glasses of matched wine at each restaurant and an altogether true ‘taste’ of what Melbourne has to offer.
Day 5 Private Yarra Valley Day Tour Today you’ll have an opportunity to visit one of Australia’s leading wine making regions: the Yarra Valley. Just a short drive from Melbourne, it offers the picturesque backdrop of the Yarra Ranges as well as renowned restaurants throughout the area – perfect for foodies and oenophiles alike. Delight in an exclusive behind the scenes barrel room tasting paired with local produce at Dominique Portet vineyard, where the Portet family has been making wine for 10 generations. Enjoy lunch at one of the regions’ picturesque vineyard restaurants – either TarraWarra Estate or Oakridge estate – then spend more time meeting local characters and sampling wine. Boutique wineries include Yarra Yering, Coldstream Hills and Yering Farm, though keep in mind the tour will be tailored to suit your tastes. Finally, visit the Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary. Regarded as one of Australia’s leading wildlife reserves, it holds over 200 species of Australian birds and animals in pristine ‘Aussie’ bush land.
Day 6 Melbourne to Launceston Your adventure continues today with a flight to Launceston. Upon arrival, a private transfer will take you from the airport to your hotel, where once settled you can go out to explore Launceston. There’s a thriving art and culinary scene where you can taste fresh, locally grown produce in its restaurants and farmers markets or visit a collection of galleries.
Day 7 Private Tour through the Tamar Valley wine region Today you’ll enjoy a privately guided journey through the Tamar Valley wine region. Drive north along the Tamar River through the Swiss-inspired village of Grindelwald and stop at Brady’s Lookout to soak up the best views of the winding waterway below. Take to the Tamar Ridge Cellar door for an introduction to some of Tasmania’s finest wines, then return to Launceston via the river’s edge and take a tour through Boags Brewery, a well-regarded facility dating back to 1881. Following the brewery tour, drive south to Relbia for lunch (included) at Josef Chromys vineyard, an award-winning winery regarded for its excellent cool climate aromatic and sparkling wines. After lunch return to Launceston to explore Cataract Gorge or visit some local providers to discover Tasmania’s artisanal cheeses, hams, olives and chocolates.
Day 8 Private Tour from Launceston to Freycinet National Park Your guide will greet you at your accommodation this morning for your transfer to Saffire Freycinet. Along the way, enjoy a scenic drive via sidling and agricultural areas before arriving to Tasmania’s beautiful East Coast where you’ll have the chance to stop at Pyengana and explore St Columba Falls. After lunch (included) enjoy the beauty of the Bay of Fires and Binalong Bay. Then, continue south via Bicheno to Freycinet National Park.
Day 9 Freycinet National Park and the award-winning Saffire Freycinet
Saffire Freycinet’s complimentary range of activities has something for every mood and every moment. Lasting from one to three hours, these activities are your opportunity to engage and connect with Freycinet’s stunning natural wonders and attractions.
Wine & Vine Adventure A wine lover's delight! At the local Freycinet Winery, you will learn the art of winemaking and indulge in tastings accompanied by some fine Tasmanian fare.
Tasmanian Devil Experience The Tasmanian Devil Experience offers the rare opportunity to encounter Tasmanian devils in a natural setting, and to participate in the quest to save this endangered species from extinction.
Freycinet Marine Oyster Farm Don a pair of waders and visit a working oyster farm located within an internationally significant wetland and ornithological site. Develop an understanding for wetland and marine ecology, plus get a taste of prized Pacific oysters.
Wineglass Bay Lookout Walk Freycinet National Park is a must-see during your stay at Saffire Freycinet. Join one of our informative guides on a walk to the lookout over Wineglass Bay. Learn about the Peninsula’s rich history and acquaint yourself with one of the world’s most famous beaches on this two-hour walking adventure.
Pelican Bay Canoeing & Bird Watching Unwind and absorb the breathtaking beauty of the Swanport estuary on this guided canoeing adventure. Gaze into the crystal clear waters of the internationally significant Moulting Lagoon wetland and discover various marine life, flocks of pelicans and more.
Day 10 Private Tour from Freycinet National Park to Hobart Meet your driver guide at the resort mid-morning for your transfer to Hobart today. Pass by coastal fishing villages, enjoy lunch (included) and view the well-preserved colonial architecture of Richmond in the Coal River Valley.
Day 11 Hobart – Today you have the choice of one of four private tours
1. Private Tour - Tasmania's Wilderness & Wildlife
This tour visits Mount Field National Park, the oldest National Park in the state. Take an enchanting rainforest walk to Russell Falls, Horseshoe Falls and the Tall Trees, then enjoy a delightful Tasmanian picnic lunch before visiting the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. Here you’ll experience Tasmanian Devils, Wombats, Wallabies, Echidnas, Quolls and other Australian animals first hand. The dedicated wildlife team provides an invaluable service to the research and protection of native wildlife in Tasmania.
2. Private Tour - Mt Wellington and Huon Valley Food and Wine Mt Wellington provides a beautifully imposing backdrop to the city of Hobart. Start your day with an ascent of the Mountain in search of stunning views over southern Tasmania (weather dependent) before continuing your journey into the picturesque and fertile lands of the Huon Valley. Following the Huon Trail, you will visit many fine providers, sample unique and award-winning cheeses, and enjoy eating local produce for lunch at a restaurant by the water. In the afternoon, taste local wines and ciders of the region as you traverse the banks of the Huon River.
3. Tasmanian Seafood Seduction This full day shared tour begins on Hobart's vibrant waterfront, amongst the fishing boats moored at Constitution Dock. As you begin to leave civilization behind, you’ll cruise down the Derwent River and into the sheltered waters of the D'Entrecasteaux Channel surrounding Bruny Island. From here, enjoy rock lobster and oysters shucked straight from the water, and see your guide dive for abalone and sea urchin. Watch in delight as your catch is turned into a delicious seafood feast before your eyes, accompanied by gourmet local produce and Tasmanian wines, boutique beers, ciders and juices. Throughout the day your guide will provide entertaining insight into the surrounding landscapes and animals.
4. Full Day Private Tour - Tasmania's History & Devils This private tour option with driver/guide visits the Tasman Peninsula and Port Arthur Historic Site, two of Tasmania’s most visited destinations. The site of Tasmania’s famous convict settlement features many attractions, and our experienced guide will help bring its history to life. Visit the famous geological features of the peninsula as you explore the rugged coastline. In the afternoon, travel to the historic village of Richmond before meeting Tasmanian’s enigmatic character, the Tasmanian Devil.
Day 12 Depart Hobart The time has come to say goodbye to Hobart, Australia. We have included a private transfer to the airport from your hotel to begin your journey home.
- 3 nights of accommodation at Shangri-La Hotel, Sydney – Deluxe Sydney Harbour View Room
- 2 nights of accommodation at QT Hotel, Melbourne – QT King Room
- 2 nights of accommodation at Quamby Estate Hotel, Launceston – Standard Room
- 2 nights of accommodation at Saffire Freycinet, Coles Bay – Luxury Suite
(Includes meals, select drinks and $100 property credit per suite per stay for use on spa treatments, signature experiences and non-inclusive beverages)
- 2 nights of accommodation at MACq 01 Hotel, Hobart – Superior Hunter Room
- Sydney private airport transfer
In Sydney, the freedom to choose 2 of 6 excursions:
- Shared Luxury Harbor Cruise with progressive lunch at Sydney’s top waterfront restaurants
(Includes: Progressive three-course lunch and beverages)
- Shared Seaplane to Cottage Point for lunch
(Includes: Return water taxi transfer Circular Quay to Rose bay, return seaplane flight to Cottage Point Inn and three-course a la carte lunch)
- Morning Private Sydney Tour, with afternoon Private Sydney Opera House Tour
(Includes: Morning tea)
- Lets Go Surfing Bondi Beach Full Day Best of Bondi Private Tour
(Includes: Lunch, surf lesson)
- Morning Taste of Sydney Tour
(Includes: Morning tea, local beer tasting and pub grub, glass of champagne/wine and half a dozen oysters, lunch with glass of wine.)
- Half Day Private Arts St & Shop of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst
(Includes: Coffee or gelato, lunch & Culture Scout bag)
- Shared Luxury Harbor Cruise with progressive lunch at Sydney’s top waterfront restaurants
- Private transfer in Sydney to the Airport
- Private transfer from Melbourne Airport to your hotel
- Private Melbourne “Epicurean Discovery” Walking tour
(Includes: Cocktails at an iconic Melbourne laneway bar, three courses served at alternating Melbourne restaurants, two glasses of matched wine at each restaurant, local guide providing expert commentary
- Private Yarra Valley Day Tour (Includes exclusive cellar experiences, private behind the scenes barrel tasting, two-course lunch with beverages, Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary)
- Private airport transfer in Melbourne
- Private airport transfer in Launceston
- Private tour of the Tamar Valley Wine Region (Includes wine tastings, lunch at Josef Chromys Vineyard in Relbia)
- Private driver/guided tour from Launceston to Saffire Freycinet
- Private driver/guided tour from Saffire Freycinet to Hobart
In Hobart, the freedom to choose 1 of 4 full day tours (see itinerary)
- Private Tasmania's Wilderness & Wildlife Tour
- Private Mt Wellington and Huon Valley Food and Wine Tour
- Tasmanian Seafood Seduction Cruise
- Private Tasmania's History & Devils Tour
- Private airport transfer in Hobart
- International or domestic airfares (unless specified above)
- Meals other than specified above
- Travel insurance
Australia Best Kept Secrets of Sydney, Melbourne & Tasmania
Start planning your tailor-made vacation in Australia, Fiji and New Zealand by contacting our South Pacific specialists
Call 1 855 465 1030
Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm Pacific time
Send an email firstname.lastname@example.org